Day In The Life: Trying to Find A New Routine

This morning I woke up at 5:30. My sleep pattern has been so off even on work days. Really I had every intention of reading since I have been bringing my book into the bedroom in the evenings. However that didn’t happen. I just spent the next hour or so laying there petting my kittens. I was a little productive and ordered groceries for the upcoming week.

At 8:00 I decided to get moving. I got dressed and started some laundry since that had been piling up for the past week or so. My oldest, Ada followed me up and down the stairs as I carried the basket. She is my little helper in the mornings following me around. By the time I had the second basket ready the twins were finally moving around more so I could make the bed. This is a habit that I’ve been slowly incorporating more. Mostly because the kittens will play there most of the day and we don’t want them to bury their toys in the tangle of sheets.

Afterward, I went downstairs and gave the kitties their breakfast and took care of the dog. I took my medicine and mixed some preworkout. I always try to go through and clean all the litterboxes first thing in the morning too so that it’s fresh for them. The trash was overflowing and I saw that there were some items I still needed to add to my grocery order.

At about 9:00 I was ready to workout. I’ve been restructuring how I’m doing my workouts so today was just a steady incline walk on the treadmill.

I finished up at 10:00. Next up on my list was dishes as both sides of the sink were filled and they were starting to spill out to the side counters. My husband asked if I had chugged a bunch of redbull that morning with how much I had gotten done in that short amount of time. And just like I told him, I always get two days a week to get all the housework and homework done for the week. My days off aren’t really my days off. They haven’t been for a very long time. I loaded the dishwasher and rolled up my sleeves because then it was time to give the kitties their medicine. When we adopted Ada, she had an eye infection that hadn’t completely gone away during her treatment at the shelter. We took her to the vet and put her on medicine but then she spread it to the twins so now they are all on their last leg of meds. The dog wasn’t happy this morning, either, so her barking was really putting them on edge and made it so much worse than it usually is. They’re getting stronger now so when they want to leave they put those little muscles to use.

By then I was starting to get hungry, so I heated up some leftovers from my meal prep that I hadn’t eaten yet that week. It wasn’t good but with prices of groceries nowadays, I’ll be damned if I waste food. Just as I was finishing, the grocery deliver arrived, so I took some time to put all that away. I really cringed inside knowing that the food would last a week and it was almost $300.

I took some time after putting them away to finish a movie that I had started the other night on Prime, My Best Friend’s Exorcism. It was a good movie. I’ve been kind of in a thriller mood lately especially after starting to read How to Sell a Haunted House by Grady Hendrix. I’m not that far in to it yet but I can definitely tell that it’s going to give me goosebumps.

Once the movie was over I went back upstairs to put away all the laundry, my little helpers in tow. And then, being completely transparent, I wasted about 3 hours watching movies again. I started on some homework but I just wasn’t in it. Instead I decided to head upstairs to take a nice bath and read my book.

That was a flop though as Ada isn’t afraid of water and she kept trying to climb in with me. Which I wouldn’t care if I hadn’t put in glittery bubble bath and the water was hot AF. And then Ace, being momma’s spoiled little boy, came running to find me which left his sister, Wednesday, by herself. Then she started to cry because she doesn’t like being left alone. She has to either have one of the other kittens with her or my husband and me. So after about 10 minutes I figured it a waste trying to relax so I toweled off and dressed in my pajamas and went downstairs.

The rest of the night I didn’t really do much of anything. This past month my energy has been severely depleted as I continuously struggle with trying to get back to a balanced life. I had planned on getting much more done that I did but it’s ok. I get two days every other week to myself so I figured those few moments I had to sit down and just relax were much needed. I am definitely seeing progress by reincorporating some of the things that I used to do, like working out and blogging. I know it’ll come in time and that I need to trust the healing process.

One thought on “Day In The Life: Trying to Find A New Routine

  1. yes grocery prices. I’m horrible with that…when it’s my turn to cook I just buy, and if I’m cooking more than once a week, I’ll do the same thing… $60 there, $60 again….so I don’t notice..I will say I have started looking for less expensive and meals that are also less expensive to make….(most of my cooking ends up being stir fry)…..


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s